Friday, April 18, 2008

Spinning, Deltora & Yarn!!!

So one of the things that I still need to do a catch-up on here is my knitting stuff... but the thing that I'm absolutely addicted to right now is spinning.

This all started last fall... I wanted to learn more about the yarn I was using for knitting, and thought that it would be fun to take a spinning class. So I signed up at The Yarn Barn (our local yarn store) and took a class. I was fascinated with this process and bought a couple of spindles and some fiber to play around with at home. While I have finally started making decent yarn on the spindle, I just did not enjoy it like I did with the spinning wheel in class. So in February I decided to take another class. It was about how to create the types of yarn that I wanted rather than accepting the yarn that I ended up with. And I wanted more! I have now taken my third spinning class and...

My hunny got me this lovely Schacht Ladybug on March 29th. Since then I can NOT quit spinning... I am totally addicted.

My son, Ethan and I live with my parents currently, and almost every evening we read together as a family. We are currently reading the Deltora Series by Emily Rodda.

When we first started reading this young readers series, I was reading it to Ethan, then my mom was listening in since she was in the same room and got hooked on the story, then she told my dad to sit and listen one evening and he was hooked too. So for awhile Mom would crochet, Dad would lean back in his chair and Ethan would cuddle on my lap while I read the story. My father has an amazing voice, so Mom suggested one night that Dad read. That night worked on a sock I was knitting while he read and it was amazing how much knitting I got done in that hour. So we continued with him reading the next night, and every night since. There have been nights that all of sudden we realize we have been reading for 2 hours. So now we stick to a maximum of 4 chapters (well, with some exceptions) per night.

Once I got my spinning wheel though I started spinning while listening to Dad read... and talk about relaxing. Listening to my father read us the story of Lief, Jasmine & Barda as they battle the Shadow Lord in the magical land of Deltora while letting the fibers slip through my fingers into the twist and making it yarn. I know, I'm weird, but it is the best thing for letting the "blah's" of the day slip away.

So what am I making? Here are some of my yarns that I've made in the last 3 weeks.


Fiber: 100% Merino
Colorway: Sage
Purchased at: The Yarn Barn of Kansas
WPI: 12
Yardage: ~280
Spin Dates: March 29 - April 3

I know, it's not very consistent, but for my first yarn, I am ecstatic!






Brand: Louet Karaoke
Fiber: 50% Soysilk 50% Wool
Colorway: Mermaid
Purchased at: The Yarn Barn of Kansas
WPI: 15
Yardage: ~304
Spin Dates: April 4 - April 10





Fiber: My own Drumcarded Mix of Alpaca, various wools, merinos, silk nubs, etc.
Colorway: Pumpkin Latte
WPI: 24
Yardage: ~323
Spin Dates: April 11 - April 14.

I still need to set the twist on this, but other than that it is done.



I have no clue what the Sage Merino or the Karaoke Mermaid are destined to become... but the Pumpkin Latte I think is going to be mixed with the fiber I just started spinning last night to become the Swirl Shawl by Jojoland.
I'm always open for suggestions though, any ideas on what these yarns should be?

I can't wait for the day to end so I can go home to listen to the newest adventures in Deltora while Ethan sits on the floor next to me and makes his newest spaceship out of Legos and I make more yarn...

Have a fabulous weekend all!

Till Later!
Lawanna

No comments: